Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Long Winded Wednesday

You know that old saying, something about you think clear when your house is clean, or some crap like that? Well, I think it might be true. I mean, its hard to say right now, because my house is not clean, or organized, or desirable to live in. Coincidentally, I don't seem to be thinking very clear right now either, so I think the two might be related. If only I could get my head clear, I could get to work on the uber-huge job we started, and get the house cleaned and organized. But I need to get to work on the uber-huge job we started and get the house clean and organized so I can clear my head. You see the problem??
This is what I woke up to this morning:


Let me explain - I wanted to make coffee. (Notice the coffee left in the pot from yesterday...)

I needed to move yesterdays spoon out of the way, because I obviously didnt put it in the dishwasher when I was finished with it yesterday. But where should I put it? Last nights dishes were piled really really high in the sink, unwashed of course, leaving very little room for more to be added, and the dishwasher was full of  clean dishes, but I certainly wasn't going to empty it, just to put a stupid spoon in, before I had a freaking cup of coffee, so I left it.

The peanut brittle just lays there, taunting me all day - eat me eat me eat me... I don't want to eat it, but I cant just let it sit there like that. I mean, its open... I don't want it to go bad. So I break a small piece off, about 15 times a day (notice the crumbs). Yes, I had peanut brittle before I had anything else this morning.

The tape measure. I shouldn't even get started on it. Does that look like a home for a tape measure??? Not even a little bit. I'm trying to prove a point with that one. It will stay there until I die.

The paint chip. We went to the hardware and took every brown one they had, only to realize when we got home that we didn't like any of them. They are scattered all over the house, because it turns out they are Maizeys favorite thing to play with. All 25 of them. For some reason I cant seem to throw them away.

The party shades. Those have a home, right beside the other two pairs, in my bedside table. But when we got home last week we let our suitcases lay on the kitchen floor, at the top of the stairs, waiting to go down and be unpacked, for *ahem* a few days. But we needed a few things over the course of those days, out of them, so they got opened. Which meant Maizey got into them. SO among other things, the shades got pulled out  (and worn), but never put away. The small business Christmas party is two weekends away, I will need them for that, so chances are that they are going to stay there until the party.

My birthday card from Chelsea is under there.

A lone Maizey Rae sock. Dirty of course, where else would it be?

Jute twine for an upcoming Christmas project. Its supposed to go in the junk draw, but it wont fit.

Brian's kindle cord. I don't even know where that's supposed to go, but I can say with certainty that its not supposed to be on the kitchen counter.

My travel mug. I picked it up to move it and it still had coffee in it. I took a small drink just to see... it tasted fine, so I think it must have been recent.

The tire wrench for my stroller. If I get a flat tire while running, I don't think I am going to find it very handy, sitting on the counter. I don't even know how it got in the house???

An open bag of sour patch kids, from Brian's work bag, that Maizey found and brought upstairs when my parents were here looking after her. I hate sour patch kids. I only eat them every other time I have a piece of peanut brittle
.
A note pad. Well that just makes good sense, having one handy.

The flash for my camera, that I don't even know how to use.

Two finishing nails. Again, just proving a point.

There are four things you cant see in the photo - a mini shoe horn from the hotel in Mexico, a handful of change (36 cents to be exact), a twist tie and a tube of Burts Bees. And this photo has been strategically cropped so you cant see whats on the bar above the coffee pot. Let me assure you, its equally as frightening.

We started the major over haul of Maizeys bedroom this weekend. It was supposed to take 3 days, but we are already on day 5, and nowhere near being done. Its on my mind constantly - I am always thinking of a new, fun thing I want to add, so I start on it, forgetting the other bazillion things I have on the go already. For example, I have this idea of getting a photo of Maizeys legs, in pink tights, wearing her tutu, with a white background, then making it into a big canvas. So operation legs photo started shortly after coffee this morning. But she wasn't even a little bit co-operative and I was trying to be patient and understanding about the fact that shes only one and really doesn't give a shit if I get a good photo of her legs in the super cute pink polka dotted tights, but my patience was wafer thin.
It resulted in this:


She was trying to be helpful (I think) by bringing me my plate from the coffee table. I tried not to make a big deal, because I didn't want her to drop it. She was SO close, I almost had my hand on it, but then she tripped over the stand of the fan that's still sitting at the door waiting to go out to the shed. This was the result. She was scared and I was annoyed.
I listened to myself be miserable for only a short time longer, before I told Brian I needed some me-time. He agreed. I pulled out my favorite toque (to hide the fact that I hadn't washed my hair in two days) and left. I sat and had a coffee in peace, read the paper, listened in on adult conversations that didn't use the words poop, crying, diapers or teething. I was only gone an hour, but I came home feeling like I could handle the day a bit better. I spent the rest of the day trying to be present and happy. I did manage to get some good photos, I cleaned (ish) the kitchen, scoped out flooring for the basement and tile for the kitchen, cooked a delicious dinner, played fun games with Maizey in the bath and read Goodnight Gorilla at least ten times before putting her to bed.

Brian went back to work today for the first time in three weeks (Gotta love holidays!), so he should be home tomorrow. We will attempt to make some serious head-way in Maizeys bedroom. All of us in one bedroom has gotten old realllllly quick.
But for now, I have free range of the t.v! Ohhh, the possibilities are endless!





(this is the face we get when we say 'smile' or we pull out the camera!! She slays me!)

2 comments:

  1. You are sure good at taking beautiful pictures! It helps when you have such a beautiful subject, I just love the one of Maizey in black and white sitting with her red tights. Just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the break down of what's on your kitchen counter. We've all been there but I, at least, have never taken the time to so meticulously take note of what the counter has collected. I love it!

    ReplyDelete