Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sugar Delight!

I DID IT! My month is up... I can finally eat a cookie, a muffin or a bowl of sugar if I should so feel inclined (I of course wont, because its a little too gritty for me, I may however dissolve it in a coffee first). In all honesty, it wasn't actually THAT bad. The first few days were tough, you know how it goes... the age old story of the forbidden fruit, but once I got over that, I will even venture as far to say as it was... *gasp* easy?! I replaced the sugar in my coffee with a small spoon of honey, and I will continue to do this as it is actually a delicious way to enjoy a coffee or a latte. I replaced my supposedly healthy but actually sugar-laden bread with actually healthy and not-sugary bread, I have replaced the heavily sugared (but fat free) yogurt and some sort of fruit substitute with plain, non-fat yogurt with frozen or fresh berries, the sugar-filled salad dressings with oil and fancy vinegars and the sugar-packed salsas/canned tomatoes/soups and everything else tomato related with Brians parents home canned goodness, all sugar free. The list could go on and on about all I had to switch but I wont bore you with all the details. The bottom line is, I saw how many tablespoons of unnecessary refined sugar I was consuming and I eliminated it. I didn't go without, nor did I have to deprive myself of anything I reallllly wanted, I always found an alternative, which was always healthier and usually more delicious anyways. Lesson has been learned, I don't need it, I just want it. But my friend and I have vowed to not go back to the old *sweet* ways, instead stick to this because as I said, its really not bad.
Now I just need to find the perfect gift for myself. We said we were going to reward ourselves at the end of it. She picked out what she wanted the day we started, I on the other hand have been holding off just in case I couldn't do it, I didn't want to be disappointed not getting something I wanted. I am open to suggestions if anyone has any great *yay for me* ideas!!
p.s Just for the record, on the 2ND or 3rd day, I actually slipped up and absentmindedly dipped a french fry in ketchup. I immediately felt guilty and quickly texted Stacey about it. She forgave me and didn't make me start again at day 1. Thank god.
Happy sugaring. Or not sugaring. whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment