Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween and Stuff

Okay, I admit it... I suck at Halloween. I never think of good costumes, I don't like not recognizing people and truth be told, I have never carved a pumpkin by myself. Although I do love the candy. True story - we ate a whole box of mini chocolate bars long before October 31st. I swear I will get better as Maizey and Jace get older. Swear. For now, Maizey was perfectly happy to look at the un-carved pumpkin on our steps and up until five minutes before we headed out the door at Angs to go trick-or-treating, she refused to put her costume on. In fact, we thought we might have to cancel thanks to the hissy fit that was going on at our house just ten minutes prior. I was gathering warm clothes as Brian was checking on frozen pizzas in the oven while simultaneously shushing and rocking a screaming baby. He handed the baby off as we shoved pizza in our faces and tried to coax a cranky two year old into having just one bite. I  whipped up some coffees as, well I'm not sure what Brian was doing, but I'm sure it was productive and helpful and made the screaming about I'm not putting Elmo on easier to handle. By the time we were ready to walk out the door, we agreed that if she didn't want to put her costume on, it was no big deal, there is always next year. We also agreed that maybe once she saw all her friends dressed up, she would give in. We made it to Angs mostly fed, with hot coffees and a cute little Elmo costume in hand, and sure enough seeing everyone else costume-clad, she put that weird little puppet head on her own.

IMG_5429r

IMG_5411r

IMG_5415

Jace was going to be the same thing Maizey was for her first Halloween, a baby, but at the last minute I decided to make him a tiny little Frenchman. He was digging it.

IMG_5420bw

We were a comical group of five two year old, three baby's and ten parents.

IMG_5431

IMG_5423r

IMG_5432bw

The excitement was high and the candy was flowing. It was a last minute call out to a few little friends and it turned out great. Chaotic but fun. Next year I will try to be more prepared and more creative. And more festive.
Brian and I sifted through Maizeys bag and ate what we wanted as soon as she went to bed. She hasn't thought about it since. At this age, it really is about what candy WE like!

******
On an un-related note...

We had a friend for the weekend. Our dear friend Trudy.

 P1050434

She's known me since I was a tiny little new born and now she loves on my kids like I assume she loved on me and my brothers when we that little. She finds the coolest little toys and nick-knacks and gifts and she does amazing crafts. She has stocked our kids library with incredible, age appropriate books.

P1050458

It was so much fun having her here. Its been three weeks of a good ol' taste of home and Trudy was the cherry on top of an already delicious sundae.

P1050447

P1050461

We played at the park, ate good food, drank good coffee and got caught up. It was nice to have so much time, rather than the hour long coffee visit we get, when I go home. Thanks for everything and come again anytime Trudy, we loved having you!

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to do Halloween, proud parents with their kids. Everyone looked so cute and I'm sure there has never been a cuter Elmo(but I am prejudiced) and loved Jace in his brows and mustachio, a little scary though.
    Always loved having the Hickey kids, blue hair and painted faces etc. come for their Halloween treats and now the Hickey kids' kids are some of the cutest little trick and treaters (I know I am biased but I can't help it).
    Some sneaky person takes pics when one is not looking. So lucky to be a friend.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly captured Amy!!

    ReplyDelete